My husband and I have an understanding that if it comes down to it (which it does practically every month), we would sacrifice any fun money we might have and put it all towards buying good, quality groceries.
Within reason, our food is the ONLY thing we don't scrimp on.
If it means we can't eat out at all or do any fun activities, that's okay. Its a sacrifice we are more than willing to make for the sake of our families health.
We buy organic.
We buy natural.
We only buy things that have recognizable and pronounceable ingredients.
And we buy local whenever we can.
(which is most of the time)
Jon and I were not always in such agreement on this...and over the years we have lived in some places that have made that impossible.
But now we do.
We have so many resources at our fingertips, which I love.
Great co-ops.
Many, many farmers markets.
etc.
Why do I care?
Did you know I went to culinary school?
Did you know I have been a baker?
A cook?
A culinary teacher in a private school?
Yep.
I'm one of those people.
A person with food convictions and a love for the art form.
This also plays into my weight loss trouble.
I love food.
I love cooking food.
For the most part, I do pretty well (come on, everyone is allowed a flop now and then)
And I love to eat the food I make.
Don't judge.
There are very few people have ever hated food. And if they did, well, they are probably not around anymore.
We eat a good variety of food, and I have an appreciation for foods from across the world. But, when it comes down to it, some of my top loves are pretty darn American.
Cheese burgers and fries.
Pizza.
The good ol meat and potatoes.
Good ol comfort food!
Pizza is one of those big hits in our household, and it has taken quite a bit of trial and error to get it just the way I like.
Perfect pizza crust is not as easy without a brick or convection oven!
In my humble opinion, the crust is where its at! I 'm a deep crust type of girl and don't think my pizza should resemble a cracker.
So my perfect pizza recipe:
I use Bob's red mill flour.
the flour and water may have to be adjusted depending on what flour you use.
Top as desired.
we usually have things like mozzarella and arugula, or feta and prosciutto...
but this time we opted for something more "Americanized"
organic pepperoni and pineapple with mozzarella.
(why do I use presliced cheese instead of shredded? Its all about portion control people!)
enjoy!


5 comments:
mmmmm oh my, that bottom collage of pictures.
i love food.
heck. yes.
we hardly do this, but....we're having pizza tonight. and it's order out from a sweet little italian place called "larducci's". yippeeeee!
I am totally going to make this asap! :)
Beka....so glad I could inspire food consumption!
Lindsey....don't hate me when you eat it all!
Never heard of adding sweet potatoes but I can see that. Have you tried a soaked pizza crust? I just found out about it and it makes wheat crusts taste much better and fluffier. :)
Now after reading about how you love the perfect pizza, I'm thinking maybe we should eat out instead of having you over for dinner...because pizza is usually my companies coming dinner. :)
oh goodness, I'm not a food snob:P so you wouldn't have to worry! But as for coming over or going out...THAT my dear is up to you...you have more kids than I do...so your vote trumps all!
Post a Comment
We love to hear what you have to say!