BEKA
1.What is true beauty to God?In short: methinks it’s heart stuff. In long: He loves to see lives that are finding their e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. in Him, little things and huge things. Direction, and love. Actually, both those are huge things. ;) but I’m just sayin’. Beauty: a heart and life that lives to please Him, worship Him, take joy in Him, for love of Him. Not only for what He can give me, but really really for who He is. and to start to learn about that and realize things—that straightens out puzzle pieces in my heart, I’ve seen. Small pieces to some, maybe, but huge in the influence of everything else.
He made us to want to be beautiful. He made us beautiful. I have, lately, been seeing that more and more…
And to seek Him, to be amazed by Him, to find shelter in Him…
2. How does the worlds definition of beauty and God's definition of beauty differ?
For the world, what you have to offer and your worth as a person, and moreso as a woman, starts with your outsides. Of course, some people even happen to value what’s in your brain, also… ;) but firstly it’s the body. It’s who you match up with; it’s an ever-changing list of “perfections” as they’ve come to be known to most ladies and girls. Beauty is this. Beauty is that. Let’s just forget about being a kind person or being healthy.
God created you and I. He loves what He made, and to fill ourselves with the knowledge of that and what His Word says and actually letting that shape us through the valleys and mountains of this beautiful life is what’s going to make a good difference in us, and in others. Looking put-together and made-up is going to matter squat if our heart is an ugly room filled with not-good things.
3. As you've grown (both physically and spiritually) what have you learned about true beauty, and what advice would you give your younger self about it?
Um. Yeah. This is funny, actually, because going through the mid-teens I (don’t think) I had the totally normal problems in one’s head that on normally has? And, since I was homeschooled, I didn’t have all the peer pressure around me to conform to a certain thing, get tan, wear certain clothes, diss or cling to certain people, etcetera, what have you. I, in fact, had the issue of . . . er . . . thinking myself too slender. No curves, no charm. Too white. Amongst other things I might not name.
A few things I’ve learned: there’s beauty in learning patience. There’s beauty in taking joy in beautiful things! There’s beauty in caring for others; there’s beauty in compassion. Above all, including and in every detail, beauty starts in the heart. I don’t know how many times I heard things like that when I was younger, and I never got it. not until the past couple years, and mostly in the last how many months.
What advice? Hmmm…..it’s going to be okay. You’re lovely just the way you are. He loves you the way you are, and that’s the most important thing. It’s okay to be awkward. You’ll grow out of it if you don’t obsess over it. (not that I did;)
Eh, I don’t have so many years behind me like some of the women guesting for this series…so I can’t exactly say, from my 30 or maybe 40 year old self (not saying these ladies are that age, just saying a random wonderful number) I’m not talking to myself after the whole mandatory growing-up, growing into yourself stage. That was only a few years ago. Hah.
4. Who has been the best example in your life of what a woman of true beauty really is?
There’s this lady at church. She was nearly a nun, was was a nurse in Vietnam, she’s a wife, a mom, a grandma, a friend, a mentor to whomever. She’s got the sweetest spirit. Most beautiful heart. And of course, humans are not perfect. We all know that. She’s funny. Quiet. Really really beautiful. I want to look that good when I’m that old. (she’s not that old; but I mean, there are women around that age who aren’t in that good of shape.) and I want to be as close to God and have that willing, gentle heart.
5. If there was one thing you could teach your daughter/sister/friend about being beautiful in God’s eyes, what would it be?
As you grow up, talk to and listen to God. Look around at the women who are (grateful, and therefore) joyful, in love with Jesus, and seeking His will and cherishing life. That’s beautiful. Love God. Seek His heart. there’s nothing like spending time with Him in quiet or chaos (mostly, I prefer quiet;) and coming to focus feeling Him even nearer, or just bringing peace into your heart.
There's nothing like a soft heart towards Him. And to ask Him to help you receive love, as well as learn to give it.
6. What are your goals for "...the hidden person of your heart..." to become even more beautiful and more pleasing in the sight of the Lord?
I want to grow into a person who cares even more about God’s heart, God’s love, His purposes, His ideas of things and people, and less about what people may think about me. I want to show more kindnesses to people. Because kindness, to strangers, to siblings, to friends, to anyone, can change lives. I want to, somehow, show people that beauty originates from Him. Every amazing, simple, detailed, stunning, heart-touching thing . . . it started with Him.
7.Anything you want to add?
Hmm. Not really. But I did get contacted by someone in Ireland tonight about a *beautiful* canvas of mine—featuring a page from Pride and Prejudice by Austen. I’m too excited about that. :)
He made us to want to be beautiful. He made us beautiful. I have, lately, been seeing that more and more…
And to seek Him, to be amazed by Him, to find shelter in Him…
2. How does the worlds definition of beauty and God's definition of beauty differ?
For the world, what you have to offer and your worth as a person, and moreso as a woman, starts with your outsides. Of course, some people even happen to value what’s in your brain, also… ;) but firstly it’s the body. It’s who you match up with; it’s an ever-changing list of “perfections” as they’ve come to be known to most ladies and girls. Beauty is this. Beauty is that. Let’s just forget about being a kind person or being healthy.
God created you and I. He loves what He made, and to fill ourselves with the knowledge of that and what His Word says and actually letting that shape us through the valleys and mountains of this beautiful life is what’s going to make a good difference in us, and in others. Looking put-together and made-up is going to matter squat if our heart is an ugly room filled with not-good things.
3. As you've grown (both physically and spiritually) what have you learned about true beauty, and what advice would you give your younger self about it?
Um. Yeah. This is funny, actually, because going through the mid-teens I (don’t think) I had the totally normal problems in one’s head that on normally has? And, since I was homeschooled, I didn’t have all the peer pressure around me to conform to a certain thing, get tan, wear certain clothes, diss or cling to certain people, etcetera, what have you. I, in fact, had the issue of . . . er . . . thinking myself too slender. No curves, no charm. Too white. Amongst other things I might not name.
A few things I’ve learned: there’s beauty in learning patience. There’s beauty in taking joy in beautiful things! There’s beauty in caring for others; there’s beauty in compassion. Above all, including and in every detail, beauty starts in the heart. I don’t know how many times I heard things like that when I was younger, and I never got it. not until the past couple years, and mostly in the last how many months.
What advice? Hmmm…..it’s going to be okay. You’re lovely just the way you are. He loves you the way you are, and that’s the most important thing. It’s okay to be awkward. You’ll grow out of it if you don’t obsess over it. (not that I did;)
Eh, I don’t have so many years behind me like some of the women guesting for this series…so I can’t exactly say, from my 30 or maybe 40 year old self (not saying these ladies are that age, just saying a random wonderful number) I’m not talking to myself after the whole mandatory growing-up, growing into yourself stage. That was only a few years ago. Hah.
4. Who has been the best example in your life of what a woman of true beauty really is?
There’s this lady at church. She was nearly a nun, was was a nurse in Vietnam, she’s a wife, a mom, a grandma, a friend, a mentor to whomever. She’s got the sweetest spirit. Most beautiful heart. And of course, humans are not perfect. We all know that. She’s funny. Quiet. Really really beautiful. I want to look that good when I’m that old. (she’s not that old; but I mean, there are women around that age who aren’t in that good of shape.) and I want to be as close to God and have that willing, gentle heart.
5. If there was one thing you could teach your daughter/sister/friend about being beautiful in God’s eyes, what would it be?
As you grow up, talk to and listen to God. Look around at the women who are (grateful, and therefore) joyful, in love with Jesus, and seeking His will and cherishing life. That’s beautiful. Love God. Seek His heart. there’s nothing like spending time with Him in quiet or chaos (mostly, I prefer quiet;) and coming to focus feeling Him even nearer, or just bringing peace into your heart.
There's nothing like a soft heart towards Him. And to ask Him to help you receive love, as well as learn to give it.
6. What are your goals for "...the hidden person of your heart..." to become even more beautiful and more pleasing in the sight of the Lord?
I want to grow into a person who cares even more about God’s heart, God’s love, His purposes, His ideas of things and people, and less about what people may think about me. I want to show more kindnesses to people. Because kindness, to strangers, to siblings, to friends, to anyone, can change lives. I want to, somehow, show people that beauty originates from Him. Every amazing, simple, detailed, stunning, heart-touching thing . . . it started with Him.
7.Anything you want to add?
Hmm. Not really. But I did get contacted by someone in Ireland tonight about a *beautiful* canvas of mine—featuring a page from Pride and Prejudice by Austen. I’m too excited about that. :)

2 comments:
Lovely.
Such an encouraging post. It’s so refreshing to hear a beautiful Christian woman write about where beauty is found: in joy, compassion…in the heart.
it is so painful sometimes to see a plethora of breath-taking women in our everyday lives and wondering to God why He would make you so dang average. but really, the most beautiful women in the world have the purest of hearts, which in turns, makes them beautiful from the inside out
I see that in you, beka. You are gorgeous outside, but even more so because of who.you.are.
I love what you wrote about loving Him for WHO HE IS, rather than what He can offer. That speaks so much truth. that is truly where I’ve found the deepest, truest love in Him.
Lovely, lovely post.
Post a Comment
We love to hear what you have to say!